Sunday, August 16, 2009

Tekken 6 on Xbox or Playstation?

Tekken 6 is coming out multiplatform in October. They're offering what is rumored to be a wireless Hori Real Arcade Pro. Even if it's wired, that's a fantastic joystick.

I've always gotten my Tekken (and other fighters) on the Sony system of the time. This is primarily due to my love of Tekken over all other fighters and the fact that I have acquired some nice arcade sticks to play it on Playstation.

Getting Tekken 6 on PS3 seems like a no-brainer. I've got some PS3 compatable sticks, the game was built on an arcade version of PS3 hardware (I think) and Japanese games tend to be better on Japanese systems.

Except that's not exactly true anymore. Resident Evil 5 was noticeably better looking (to both me and Gorgeous Hair) on Xbox 360 and it had no mandatory install. The head-to-heads of Soul Calibur 4 say the game is nearly indistinguishable across systems but slightly better looking on Xbox.

This is compounded by the fact that Sony hasn't done one thing right since the PS3 came out. Despite having a purportedly much faster processor, there has been no indication of that from any game, cross platform or exclusive. Half the games require installs (and in the impossibly offensive example of Metal Gear 4, require one install per level.) and neither load faster or look better.

Other than the rather slim odds that the game will look better on PS3 (which I doubt based on the Soul Calibur reviews) there's no more reason to get the game on PS3.

So as of this week, I'm getting a Tekken game on a non-Sony system. It reminds me of buying a PS1 to play Final Fantasy 7.

No comments: