Sunday, November 2, 2008

Good at Games

Does it matter, getting good at games?

You can argue that J0h@n@+han "Fatal1ty" W3nd311 profits from being good at games. He makes a decent salary. That makes game playing his job, however. I know a lot of people with better jobs because they decided to get good at things other than video games, so the argument is somewhat moot.

Bionic Commando: Rearmed is the last game I had to make an effort at. It wasn't a significant effort. I spent an extra day scrounging up every last free man and patiently beat the last level. I'm pretty good at BC:R now but I have no interest in playing it on hard mode or anything else at this point. I have no idea what was the last game I worked hard to master. Even with Tekken I get by more on my accrued skill over the six games than any concerted effort to master my wall game or something.

And what's the point really? Most games out there currently require zero skill. This is every RPG, MMORPG and everything else. Sure Omega Weapon was hard, but it's a numbers game, not a skill game.

Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox was the last game I had to get good at, from scratch and properly. I even got most of the way through the Hurricane Pack, but then too, at a certain point I asked myself, what is the point?

No comments: